Welcome

Welcome to SHM Designs where life is our inspiration. Our company designs interiors and exteriors of homes, furniture and accessories. We are passionate about creating a home which is not only beautiful, but comfortable and functional as well. Our number one goal in every design is to create such a feeling that all you can do is SMILE!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

SHM'S First Two Design Pieces

I am so excited to reveal SHM Designs first OTTOMAN and CORK BOARD DESIGNS.  There is nothing more rewarding then watching an idea come to life. I want thank both Mark, my carpenter, and Susan, my upholsterer, for doing such an amazing job in such a short period of time.

Both of these pieces were specifically designed for Maryvale's High School Fashion Show Fundraiser. Maryvale is a great school and I was very happy to be able to launch my two new designs at their event. ( I currently have one daughter there and will have another attend next year.)

I thought I would show you some of the steps in creating the cork board:


First, Mark layered the board with a series of different wood moldings





Next, I painted the piece using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite which actually leaves you with a blue charcoal grey color.




After painting the piece with two coats of AS paint. I started to lightly distress it. Because I was making this for an auction, I wanted it to appeal to a larger crowd so I only distressed it a little. Note: When you are distressing your piece you will probably get scuff and smear marks in places you don't want. DON'T WORRY!!! When you wax the piece, those marks will go away.





Distressing all done; now time to wax.  I chose the Annie Sloan Dark Wax because I wanted the piece to actually look black.  Annie Sloan does not have a true black so by using the dark wax on the graphite you will get a very pretty black color.  The dark wax also gives where I distressed, a nice stained brown look.




AND..... the final product.... an amazing cork board. In the past I have painted the cork and then either monogrammed or stenciled a design in the middle but I liked how the natural cork looked with the piece and also by leaving the design out, the person who buys it can hang it either way; vertical or horizontal.




(In the corner are some silk rose thumb tacks I was trying out. I am still working on them.)






I am currently working on two more cork board designs and another ottoman design that hopefully I will be able to show you in the next month. 

Now onto the OTTOMAN. I just love how this turned out. Please, let me know what you think. This design, like I said, was made for Maryvale, but there are so many options, that it could easily be changed to work for anyone. 

Hope you like it:

The legs are painted in a high gloss black. The skirt is made from uniform skirts. (thanks for everyone's donations) I just love how we were able to incorporate the tabs and buttons on the corners of the ottoman.  The size is 2' x 4'.


















Well there you have it, my first two designs. Have I told you how much fun this is? Seriously,
I would love to know what you think. If you get a chance, please send me a note.

Take Care,
Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment