In everything we do there is some type of cause and effect which creates a mood. This is also true in decorating. Whenever you enter a room, you instantly feel something. Whether you realize it or not a MOOD has been established by how it is decorated and the COLORS that have been used. Therefore, picking your colors are very important.
Decorators talk about color in terms of properties or qualities; hue- the name of the color, value-the amount of lightness or darkness in a color and intensity- the amount of brightness or dullness in a color. You can use these three color properties to create a room that you love.
- Usually the first word that pops into peoples head when hearing the word color is PAINT. Painting a room is probably the easiest and cheapest way to create or change the mood of a room. It is also the LAST item I pick when creating the look of a room. It is soooo much harder to find rugs, fabric, curtains/drapes or furniture that match your wall color then it is to find paint to match your home decor. Today you can pretty much get any color you can imagine in any hue, value, intensity that you want. If you can't find it, most companies can blend colors to make it. So please save yourself a headache and pick your home decor first. Here are some of my favorite paint lines that I have used:
- Start by thinking how light moves through your house and the effect it has at different times of the day
- Consider the period of your property and whether this also influences your choice
- Think about the colours you are comfortable with - look at your clothes, your car, furniture and fabrics. Decide on a palette that feels right to you
- Don’t be tempted to use too many colours on architectural features as you may distract from the very thing you are trying to enhance
- The traditional approach to decorating is more colour on the walls than on the woodwork; however, reversing this can be equally effective
- Monochromatic schemes (using the same color in different values and intensities) are particularly good for irregular shaped rooms as they help to iron out any visual faults
For help designing a room that makes you smile, contact me and ask about my design services