Welcome

Welcome to SHM Designs where life is our inspiration. Our company designs interiors and exteriors of homes, furniture and accessories. We are passionate about creating a home which is not only beautiful, but comfortable and functional as well. Our number one goal in every design is to create such a feeling that all you can do is SMILE!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Make Your Own Pillow - Its Easy!

Pillows are one of the easiest home accessories to make and also one of the fastest ways to add a little punch to a room. I know you are thinking there is no way I can make a pillow, but I am telling you, you can.

Here are two examples:

Instructions: 14 x14 pillow



  • Wash, dry and iron your material. You will need a 30-inch square of material.


  • Fold the material in half and cut  into two even pieces.


  • Place the two pieces of material with Right Sides together.  Pin the material together.  Leave a 10-inch opening unpinned on one of the four sides.


  • Sew the pieces together with a 1-inch seam ( start sewing 1 inch in from the edge). Leave the opening on the fourth side unsewn. Trim the excess material from the seams and turn it inside out. Iron the seams to a "knife edge." 


  • Fill the form with loose polyester fiber or an appropriately-sized foam pillow. (In this case a 14 inch pillow form). Slip stitch the 10-inch opening by hand so it is securely closed.





  •  A video demonstration of another pillow. This one is slightly different but just as easy.




    That's all there is to it!


    Pictures of a couple of pillows that I have made.


    Cute little pillow for a girls bedroom.



    I was so excited how the cushions for this iron bench turned out.
     I made them out of burlap and piped them in the same sage green toile I used for the accessory pillows. So durable and so much fun!


    These pillows were made out of vintage chenille fabrics that I got off of eBay.
     I made the pillow coverings exactly like the instructional video in the blog.


    This silk material came already tufted thus making
     it look difficult to make but actually very easy.


     If you decide to make your own pillow after reading this blog, or if you have already made a pillow, send me a picture and let me know how it went. I would love to hear from you.

    Take Care,
    Stacy

    Need a custom pillow and don't have the time or desire to make it on your own, Contact Me, to talk about my design services.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment